Monday, January 16, 2012

Taking my practice off the mat.

What happened, you might wonder, to fill me with such peace?  Life happened.  Every day normal life in my every day routine.  I sat in a yoga class the other night after a heated sculpting class and I guess you could say that is when my emotions tend to be pretty raw.  As I lay in savasana, my yoga instructor began to speak...

"it is not how much you do, it's how much love you put in doing it.  It is not how much you give, it's how much love you put in giving it" (Mother Teresa I think).  

Those words filled me with so much love in that moment, and really ever since.  It carried into my day, and the next, and it is still with me right now.

So many people run around with their 'to-do lists' and conquer them with great sense of satisfaction, yet at the end of the day they never took much time to be in each moment and truly 'put the love in doing it'.  As I ran errands after work I had a 'to do list' miles long, just like the rest of the world, but I crossed the sunset in the grocery store parking lot and stopped dead in my tracks to be in that moment.   And this is what it was...


...a beautiful sunset in a simple parking lot in the midst of running errands.  Now I know we live in beautiful SoCal, but sometimes you begin to take sunsets for granted and they just blend into the background of your day.  I took a seat and watched the sky turn colors and let my mind be still.  I forgot about all of my to-do's and why I was even there for a moment.  It was so completely peaceful right there in the hustle and bustle of the after work errand crowd.  Nothing about the moment was any different from any other time I had done it, what was different was me and my newfound mindfulness.

Tonight when I say my thankfuls for the day, it will certainly be... -for my yoga practice -for being in that class -at that time -hearing those words -stamping their meaning on my soul.